Wednesday, December 21, 2016

1848 BBQ a Taste of the Hill Country in Brownsville!

"Move over Franklin's here comes 1848 BBQ!"


Since I set foot in Brownsville I have been on a quest to find, support and promote unique local establishments. Back in 2009 there was a great BBQ place in Los Fresnos called Wild Blue! It was one such place. I was very heart broken when they closed a few years back. Many of us had asked the owner to move to Brownsville but he was hesitant to do so... well he apparently got over that issue because he has now opened his 1848 BBQ on Palm Blvd!




I kept hearing about this 1848 BBQ place but I didn't know Mr. Avila was the Chef so I figured I would get around to it when I could. When I learned he was the Pit Master... It was my  next suggestion every time the inquiry arose. Until finally today we went. I am happy to say he is up to his old tricks and they have even improved.

Abraham Avila Jr. - Pit Master/Chef
The food was fantastic! I  had the Pulled Pork and Beans. The meat was tender and and savory and the beans, well they were awesome... I was about to drink the rest of it and thought it might be a bit over the top! LOL. Christine had the Sliced Brisket which was savory and moist. The folks next to me sampled multiple sides and all raved about them. Bottom line is you need to go and try it for yourself.

Brisket Sandwich
This place which is still under construction had a unique Hill Country vibe! I can't wait until the building is complete. It's another one of those spots that makes you feel like you aren't in Brownsville. But here's the thing... this is the new Brownsville. What we are seeing is the true Brownsville finally emerging. This is what I saw since I moved here. The potential of this city is just now breaking the surface. The work of many people from city leadership to entrepreneurs has resulted in an emerging atmosphere that is unique yet reminds of you successful places you visit around Texas.

Future Enclosed Dining Area
Today we set there in a communal dining area and shared tables with our fellow Brownsvillians. Gone was that feeling that you don't talk to your neighbors. Everyone was happy and talking across the patio and the tables. There was a feeling of community while breaking bread in a unique and hip space. I set and absorbed it and realized how much this town has changed for the better as happy people pedaled by the patio on the new bike trail. To me this was a feeling of complete satisfaction.


Our New Friends Giving Thumbs Up

To the detractors of our town... yes we know it's not complete. All towns are work in progress. But with amazing places like 1848 BBQ, Spanky's, Park Coffee, Linear Trail and all the other great places established and emerging Brownsville is on the cusp of something amazing. It's a fragile renaissance in a brutal critical environment but yet it continues. With each place that doesn't make it... one or two more pop up and do make it. If we want to have the place we envision, we must not just wish for it, we must support it, promote it, speak it, love it and most importantly be part of it. 

1948 BBQ on FB
https://www.facebook.com/1848BBQ



Craig Grove - Writer














Blog Sponsor


2 comments: